Thursday, August 4, 2011

dear mental illness


I don’t need you
to help me be smart
or creative, thank you.

I don’t need you
ensuring that people
treat me
and my kind
any differently than they already do.

your stigma carries enough
shit
on its own, thank you.

I’ve had to battle
uphill for decades.
with families
abandoning
well enough on their own
without
your damn stigma
pushing further,
after learning
of habits
living under bridges and what not.

I don’t need you
guaranteeing
people assume violence,
or that I push a shopping cart, full of haphazard piles of random conspiracy laden stuff,
my M.O.

I don’t need you
telling your classmates
at community college
that
I’m not smart enough to finish anything.
assumptions happen anyhow
without your damn influence.

I struggle enough
trying to be normal without instructor's help,
or extra time
to make it through my 3 classes
on my own,
tutors smutors,
only make for more-what’s-up-with-him-attention?
that I don't need, ghostwriter.

I can do this.
without your damn stigma.
take your
false pity
elsewhere.

I may preach
on the street
of hell
fire
and brimstone
but
maybe I’m just trying to survive like anybody else.

they,
might expect me ready
to shoot up
youth in Norway or Tuscon.
maybe,
I’m dangerous
and
turning my apartment complex
into a luxury condos for high flalutin college students
with rich dads or moms
is obviously
a grand idea.

but
i must say,
its different when you’re the one left
moving  
to another part of town
for the umpteenth time.
because
you,
aren’t good enough
for borrowing
that cup of sugar for that gluten-free birthday cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment